Saturday, April 24, 2010

Poatoes Are Gross -> Potatoes Can Be Delicious




If you had spoken to me two hours ago, I would have told you, "Potatoes are gross."
Just like that.

And I would have believed it. What good comes out of a potatoe? They don't taste good on their own unless the flavour of the potatoe itself, called the apple of the earth in French, was masked heavily in butter, herbs, chili, or fast-food oil.

I decided I would discover potatoes today. I headed over to the Jamie Oliver website and started browsing around. I have respect for Jamie Oliver in the simplicity of what he makes.

I found my recipe. Roast Potatoes and Carrots.

I have to admit, my confidence lie in the rosemary, garlic, and olive oil that would flavour the potatoes. Out of all the fats out there to cook with, olive oil is king not only in flavour but health.

The potatoes and carrots were boiled. Steam dried. And then put the carrots into a pan of olive oil with rosemary and garlic cloves that had been crushed with the palm of my hand. The potatoes were smashed around in the colander - thrown and swirled - so the outside was fluffy and perfect for baking.

The veggies, oil, and herbs were mixed, sprinkled with sea salt, and then placed in the oven. 40 minutes later the house smelled delicious.

I expected that I would need a little bit of mayonaisse or something to get them down, I really don't like potatoes, but I took a bite.

What the? These are potatoes?

They were delicious, crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside. They were light and well seasoned. The carrots looked a bit burnt on the bottom but they tasted anything but burned.

Why have I not eaten this before? It was delectable. Potatoes do have potential, this I now know.

Here's a link to the recipe.

I would highly, highly recommend this recipe. It's simple, basic, and the ending results are the big surprise at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails