Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hay Un Amigo En Mi





Yesterday, Nick and I went to see Toy Story 3 at the Edmonds Theater.

I was in the age group that grew up with Toy Story. The first movie came out in 1995, when I was 5 years old - just around the same age as Andy. Pixar timed it right so that the third one, when Andy goes to college, is right with my age group who just finished their first year of college.

I was prepared for a good movie. I'd heard only good things of it from my other friends. I was not, however, prepared to cry like I did.

I normally don't get too emotional during movies. But it's songs that will triger me into tears. They played "You've Got a Friend and Me" and that's what set it off.

See, that's "our song." That's the song of me and my brother, Jorge.

I first met Jorge in August 2007. We were both exchange students to Switzerland in the same tiny village. He was my first friend there and the countless hours together made our unique friendship solid. When you go on exchange, you don't truly have a family. You leave everything you know behind for a new country for an entire year. I could pretend it's an easy party of a year but it's not. It's hard. Jorge was who I talked to about everything and anything.

Jorge is my best friend.
Jorge is my brother.

And I miss him, a lot. I haven't seen him since the airport in July 2008.

It's strange being around someone so often, sharing so many memories with them, and then having them ripped out of your life.

Anyways, "You've Got a Friend In Me" was our song. During train trips or hanging out, we would listen to it. We would sing it together. He made me a movie with that song as the soundtrack. If you read the words, it rings true to our friendship and the situations we were in.

"When the road looks rough ahead
And you're miles and miles from your nice warm bed
You just remember what your old pal said
Boy, you've got a friend in me..."

Miles and miles from your nice warm bed? How about over five thousand miles from home? After first arriving in Switzerland, that realization can be overwelming thinking, "Goodness, I'm 5,000 from everything I know and I won't be back there for a year." No one can understand that feeling like another exchange student. That create a strong, unique, lasting bond.

"You've got troubles
I got them too
There isn't anything
I wouldn't do for you
We stick together, we can see it through."

That's how we get by. You gotta stick together. Exchange students are family and are there for helping each other out, even by just lending an ear.


"Some other folks might be a little bit smarter than I am
Bigger and stronger too
Maybe
But none of them
Will ever love you
The way I do
It's me and you, boy."

Haha, not really a huge comment on this one. I was small. Sometimes Jorge didn't do the most intelligent things... same with me, naturally. But didn't matter. He was my brother. I was his sister.

"And as the years go by,
Our friendship will never die
You're gonna see it's our destiny
You've got a friend in me."

This is the line that gets me. The years are going by already. Two years now. And this friendship is not going to die. We might be living 4,200 miles apart and not talk all the time, but he's still my best friend. He'll always be my brother.

I will never forget the amazing times I had with my brother.

I'll remember the time I got out of history class, on a test day, to go with Jorge to get his hair cut.
I'll remember our walks each Thursday to get chocolate croissants from the Migros while our classmates learned.
I'll remember the first time we laughed together, discussing the sexuality of our waiter after a Rotary meal.
I'll remember buying postcards with him.
I'll remember searching the entire city of Luzern with him looking for the "best bakery" only to find out what we remembered was the best was a chain of bakeries and there was one in the train station.
I'll remmeber his American dancing.
I'll remember how every trip started and ended with the Obwalden to Luzern train stretch with him before seeing any of the other exchange students.
I'll remember delicious kebab meals.
I'll remember salsa dancing with him.
I'll remember making a comic book for Nicole as a present.
I'll remember long walks and bike rides around our canton and how he could bike up a hill with me holding onto his shoulder so he would pull me up the hill too.
I'll remember making leaf piles in the park during break.
I'll remember how he game me his old shirt that even smelled like him for me to take back to America so when I got sad, I could wear it and it would be like a hug. During my lowest moments when I got back, I would pull on that shirt and it would help.

I'll remember how different we were, yet somehow this friendship worked.

I freaking miss him. I mean, life goes on without him. But I feel powerless not being able to hang out with him. He is such an important person to me and it's hard to describe or type out. He's Jorge. My brother. And I miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails