Monday, June 7, 2010

Sacred Snoqualmie



Anthropology is the class that can be integrated into my life experiences with the most ease.

Today, the professor talked about sacred places and how people go them thinking that it will increase their probability of getting closer to a supernatural being or force. With many of the Western religions, such as Christianity, it is often a man-made building - a church.

But there are other religions in which places are considered sacred. She gave us two local examples, one of which was Snoqualmie Falls.

Just last week, someone took me there.

I see what those people who consider it sacred meant. The world seems different at the falls. Time is irrelevant. The water falling is mesmerizing and I found myself content just rubbing a stick against stone without any desire to move on or change activities.

The Snoqualmie People want the the falls to be recognized as sacred by taking away money making and government created structures such as the inn and the hydroelectric generating facility.

I understand what their argument and wishes. I wouldn't like it if people were treating my church as a hotel or if the city of Seattle came and put an energy creating devise in the middle of our sanctuary. I also can't deny that the falls would look even more magnificent without the looming crane and construction jurbling up at the top.

I wonder what other natural landmarks in Washington are considered sacred to certain groups of people.

2 comments:

  1. What if the "sacred" is not a sacred you think is worthy of such description? Who makes the determination that something is sacred? If I were to say the hotel at the top of the Falls is sacred, do I not matter because I am one person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably should have mentioned that I came here from the Swap-Bot "Check out My Blog" swap.

    ReplyDelete

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails