Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Grace in the School Yard - And Thanks For the Barf Bag


This quarter was a bit of a battle for me - and still is. The quarter finished yesterday, yet today I still had not only one test to do but two tests and a research paper.

Queen of Procrastination?
I procrastinate beyond the point of procrastination. I procrastinate till I'm late.

This is why I love community college, though. My teachers work with me so I can succeed.

It was the night before my English paper was due (10 page research paper) when I discovered I had a major Science paper also due the next day.

*cue panic attack*

Crap! I haven't felt this overwhelmed in ever so long.

I know it's great to feel all super-hero like, but I just couldn't do this on my own. When I get into a crazy-too-much-to-do mindset, it's like my body is suspended in mid-air by dental floss so I can't move or get anything done. I've learned that sometimes the best thing to do is ask for help.

I know I need to learn to grow up and just get things done, but I'm still growing and learning and sometimes I just fail to make magical papers appear.

I called up my English teacher who graciously gave me an extension.
She is the same English teacher who brought me back a barf bag from her vacation for my collection!
She rocks.

So I still have this paper to write but I'm not too worried. I've gotten a 4.0 on every essay we've turned in (guess I'm not a dreadful writer) and more than 100% on tests. In fact, on the last test I managed to not only get all the questions right but all the bonus questions. Take that ADHD!

School can be a struggle, but I'm grateful that I have so many allies in the school system working with me, not against me. I don't think I'd get that if I went to a large university.

3 comments:

  1. Suspended in mid-air by dental floss. That's a perfect explanition for that overwhelmed feeling. Except with concrete mixed in somewhere. Because even though I'm panicking I'm not able to move and actually do what I need to do.

    Procrastinators of the world unite...tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact you collect barf bags. What a unique thing to collect. How many do you have now?

    April
    april-swap-bot ("Blog Me, Baby)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew my "can't write that essay now, I have far more important things to do" procrastination strategies had reached their pinnacle when I found myself concentrating very hard on cleaning the air vent thing on the top of my microwave. Can't have a grubby air vent thing.......

    ReplyDelete

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails