Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Twenty-Somethings


I think I need to blog about this and get over it.

Is it immature to dwell on age? I would stop thinking about it, but it's hard to help when people ask your age at least four times a week. I got asked my age five times yesterday. Five! I always considered that a question for younger kids so you could see their cute responses in the form of fingers and softly muttered digits.

In just 20 days I turn, well, 20.

"Hi, I'm Maggie and I'm 20."

It just sounds so wrong! I mean, just look at me:


As told to me yesterday, "You look like you're twelve!"

I don't mind looking young. It's something I enjoy, actually.... but that's not what this post is about.

This post is about what happens after 20, 21, and 22 --- 23!

23, in my mind, is the beginning of the twenty somethings.

I was first introduced to the twenty somethings in 2007 through my favourite music artist, brilliant English jazz musician, Jamie Cullum.

He opens the song with...
After years of expensive education
A car full of books and anticipation
I'm an expert on Shakespeare and that's a hell of a lot
But the world don't need scholars as much as I thought
Maybe I'll go traveling for a year
Finding myself, or start a career
I could work for the poor, though I'm hungry for fame
We all seem so different but we're just the same



I have to admit I'm frightened of offending any of my twenty something readers - but not too much.

Twenty something - you're just in the middle. Trying to flounder and find your way. Finishing education. Maybe trying to find a mate in the later twenty's. Making your way.

Are there still set goals to strive for or are you finally ground into the rut of routine that life will become?

I guess this is all up to me. I guess I am the one who has the power to keep life out of the rut. Sure, I can get a regular job, but it's up to me to keep things fresh and new. Life doesn't have to become a day to day slide - that's why I started blogging. I started blogging because I didn't want each day to pass without notice. After a what-seemed-dull month I could go back and say, "Hey, dude. You did have a pretty dandy January," or whatever month it is.

Perhaps, in just a few years, I will learn to celebrate from 25 to 29.

But for now I'll be twenty.
Twenty years ancient!

2 comments:

  1. Tell 'em to kiss your - uh - earlobes. No one asks me my age anymore, but I sure wouldn't mind being 20. (Actually, I don't mind being 45, but I'd like to be as flexible and peppy as I was at 20.)

    Seriously, though, many of your age peers give the rest of you a bad name by acting, well, 12. I know a few very special people your age who are dear friends because they have wisdom and maturity and can carry on a decent conversation, even if their slang is a little "modern" - and we can tease each other about that. :) But I know other 20-somethings who remind me of my 9-year-old daughter when she's short on sleep, and I think that self-absorbed part of the 20-29 age group tends to detract from the rest of you and your accomplishments.

    It also seems to be true that, as a society, we have made the "age of maturity" at which we expect adult behavior and accomplishments later and later. 200 years ago, it was not unusual to be a college graduate, or married and working and raising a family, by 17 or 18. Now that is happening in the mid-20s or later, and we expect someone to reach the peak of her professional accomplishments while in her 50s or 60s. Of course, we're also living into our late 70s instead of our late 50s as well. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie Frosch du schreibst wunderbar!
    Deine Gedanken gefallen mir ausserordentlich gut :D Nur weiter so!

    ReplyDelete

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails