Thursday, February 24, 2011

Dumpster Diving in Seattle


You've heard the statistic that 50% of food produced in America is thrown away, right? I think that's it.

Whatever it is - it's insane. So much food going to waste.

A lot of that food ends up in dumpsters outside our local stores. The solution? Hop on in!

After the party at the Mole Haus had mulled down a bit, Ali and I headed over to the local Trader Joes. They're pretty cool about dumpster diving and it's a pretty ideal location because it's fenced in but unlocked.

Apparently, Trader Joes recently discontinued selling Good Earth. What does that mean? It means Ali found around 30 perfectly new boxes of Good Earth tea in the dumpster. She hopped in and saved as many as she could carry.

This time we snagged up some avocados, a bag of flour, some greens, meatless balls, and walnuts.

Not bad eh?

And do I consider it stealing? Trespassing? Wrong?
Not at all. It's open. It's free. And it was going to be thrown away.

I bet it pains the employees to dump all that food. Waste it all. And if it doesn't, well, I don't know how you could become numb to throwing away large quantities of good food that people could eat...


And that free flour has so far made me over four loves of bread. Here's one:


Simple. Delicious. Free food.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, all that was thrown away...?
    I'm in awe.

    It reminds me of my work. We work at a grocery store and some days they throw away up to 30 loaves of bread, either because they are a little squished or the expiry date is approaching.

    I would always ask managers why they throw it out. Some would say because it's "dangerous".. haha, beware the bread!
    I finally got a manager to admit to me that they used to donate it to food banks but for "some reason" they just don't do that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuD1oDth6es

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to do this!! thank you for inspiring me!! do you need to get permission or just go on and do it?

    ReplyDelete

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails