Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Packed Lunch: No Plastic Bags & I Can Pronounce the Ingredients

At the beginning of Summer quarter, my English professor asked us to tell the class a few things about ourselves. I believe the third thing that popped into my mind and came out of my mouth was:

"I like to pack lunches."

And so I do.

Daily.

Lately, I've gotten even more uncomfortable with using plastic bags and have made the complete switch.

I've got a few snack bags that I can just rinse and reuses, my thermos, baby food jars, two tins, and two circle wraps that fold up perfectly to hold a sandwich.

Packing lunches works out best for me. I know what's going in my body and I can make rational nutrition decisions when I'm not hungry or under the influence of time. It's relaxing in the morning. It's also more affordable for me. It's convenient because I can actually eat when my body tells me I'm hungry (between classes, during classes, after classes, at the bus stop, between dances).

The contents of the lunch?

Lately, for the past week, lunch has been along the pages of this:
  • Carrots, lots of carrots.
  • Organic Herb salad (parsley, dill, arugula, dill, baby lettuce, red and green oak leaf, lollo rossa, red chard, green chard, frisée, mizuna, cilantro, raicchio, etc)
  • Organic Curried Red Lentil Soup (onions, chicken broth, carrots, red lentils, coconut, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, etc)
  • Wasa Multi-Grain Crackers (whole grain rye flour, water, sourdough, whole grain wheat flour, whole grain oat flour, whole grain barley flour, oat kernels, yeast, oat flakes, malt extract etc.)
  • Almond Butter (just smashed almonds) + Ginger Preserves Sandwich + Squirley Bread (organic whole sprouted wheat, raisin nectar, sesame seeds, water, sunflower seeds, vital wheat glueton, barley malt, yeast, sea salt)
And for dessert either
I feel powerful being able to able to pronounce the ingredients.

Guess that's an average lunch.
So delicious.

1 comment:

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails