Monday, March 28, 2011

Blues Dancing


Square dancing.
Round dancing.
    Two-step, waltz, foxtrot, tango, jive, cha-cha.
Clogging.
Line dancing.
Salsa.
Contra dancing.

And now blues dancing.

I won't say say that blues dancing has taken me the way contra has (can't get enough of contra). I'll go far out of my way for a contra dance but have rarely encountered blues -- but there's something pleasant about it.

Familiar with what I'm talking about? Most folks I've encountered aren't aware of blues dancing. At all. Go look it up. Google it. Search for it on YouTube.

I wish there was a better way to describe it than words that I'm coming up with. Blues is a lot more expressive than any other dance I've encountered. It looses all sense of rigidness and restrictions.

Blues takes on the improvisational aspects of swing without the elite attitude that seems to surround the swing community. Goodness, I love the swing dancers, but it's always felt like a bit of a closed and judgmental community to me and I lack the effort or desire to enter in.

Blues, on the other hand, just seems to be more open and real. It seems to be a lot less "going through the motions" that I encounter with many swing partners where they're just trying to do swing move after swing move.

From what I've gathered through my blues experiences, it's all about reading the music and your partner. It's about the connection and operating in the moment without any guide but the music.

Now. Am I any good? No idea. I've only been a few times... but from what I've heard from my partners, well, I should keep coming back. I'm still a beginner and want to learn a bit more and expand my capabilities. I'm glad I was introduced by the age of 20.

When I was in Austin, I made a point of getting out to their weekly blues dance at Kick Butt Coffee. Ahh! So good. So good.

Anyways - there's not much substance to this post. Pardon that.

2 comments:

  1. Blues dancing? That is just plain awesome! I will totally google it. It sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enlightened...never knew there was something called Blues Dancing (I consider myself a real bluesman). Thank you. Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails