Monday, August 8, 2011

A Disturbance in Routine


As mentioned in the last blog, these past eight days brought three dear Swiss friends to my residence. Before I write further, I want to note that they are wonderful people who I adore and fantastic guests to have and my reactions had nothing to personally do with them. I was very pleased to have them in my company.

Having three guests means you need to bend your life a little to make them comfortable - especially when they speak a foreign language the others in your household don't understand or communicate in - German.

It also meant that a lot of my routine went out the door - and so did my mental state of well being.

With my routine upset, my grades fell as did my amount of sleep, and I craved my "me time" more than ever to recharge and decompress.

We had a three day trip planned out to Eastern Washington with my friend Kurt at the end of the week. Originally I was going to go but all I wanted was to skip it, stay home, and to have that time by myself. Instead, I was obliged into going - and I by no means regret going.

It was a fantastic weekend of rafting, mountain climbing, bike-riding, motor-cycling, pie baking, wild huckleberry picking, dancing, and laughing.

I think I did alright. It was only at the end where I started to feel distant - but it worked out ok. Luckily, I've known Kurt for over a decade now and he's a pretty steady friend to rely on. The night before each day we would go over the schedule for the following day which helped immensely. Knowing what to expect created a huge sense of security for me.

I'm still at a point in my life where I am trying to figure out when, in situations, I should listen to my body and pass-up on activities and when I should ignore them and press-on and participate. Still learning about how I have to pay for it in the end and how long it takes to recover.

1 comment:

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails