Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Don't Tell Anyone Because No One Is Going to Know -- 21st Birthday


19 days till I am 21 years old.

And I am acknowledging it now because I don't know that it will be on the day.

See, I'll be living with a new set of mates on an island on my birthday. And I will have just gotten back gotten back there from a weekend away.

My birthday will fall on a Monday.

The big two-one.

And with Facebook deactivated I doubt that anyone will remember which is certainly ok with me.

This is how I want it. I don't really want to acknowledge this passing of time. I definitely don't want to celebrate with the expected alcohol overload, which I've heard is often associated with this coming of age day. I've been around alcohol quite a bit. I was in Switzerland when I was 16, 17, 18, and 19 - all ages where I was allowed to consume all I wanted. Frankly, it's not a big deal. It's just another beverage.

I already have my drinking habits established which I'm open about with everyone - and they don't involve getting drunk. I drink solely for the taste, especially when friends have brewed something up. When I feel it's time to stop, I stop before it is time. And when others try to give me yet another drink, well, I say, "No." And mean it in full. Very empowering, you know.

So whereas, 21 can be a big day in America, I'll be in Canada.
Not all to big of a deal.
I hope I can be outside for a lot of it.

All 21 means, in America, is a whole lot more open doors.
And you all know I love a good open door... or window.

3 comments:

  1. Magi why would we not want to celebrate such a wonderful day. The day you came into the world.

    As confused as things may be and I understand that confusion a little more thanks to Ashley. The world is a much brighter place with you in it.

    Happy birthday a few days early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wishing you a very blessed birthday! He knew just what he was doing knitting you together (Psalm 139:13) and you are perfect in His sight and pretty great in the sight of many others. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails