Wednesday, October 5, 2011

That Disconnected Life



I have never been so disconnected for such an extended period of time, before, in my life (since the means of connection were provided).

No internet. No text message. No Facebook. No email. No phone calls.

The only way I can be reached over 86% of the time is via snail mail (which two wonderful friends in my life, Tucker and Lucy, have taken advantage of).

There is a stillness and a here-and-now-ness in the middle of the woods in the middle of an island in the middle of the water off the coast of mainland Canada.

Besides what Tucker and Lucy have told me, I have no idea what is going on in the lives of my other friends.

Right before I left, I deactivated my Facebook account, leaving over 1,400 “friends” of mine in the dark about my existance. Few were told I was leaving, and those few were people I had told were simply the ones I had seen recently. 

Facebook would tell me who has been working out, what another person ate for lunch, and who another person. None of that information is available to me out here.

And I love it. I don’t miss it at all.

And when I do get on the internet, oh, what to do? What to do?

I tend to just swim through the blogosphere a bit, check email for a few minutes, and then, well, what else is there to do with the internet? And I set my self free to experience the real world again.

Facebook-free life is refreshing, full, and not something I want to leave any time soon. Yes. I don’t have any intentions of going back on any time soon.

Cell phone? That necessary?

I don't think so.

I used to pack my life full of events and get togethers, but I like this time of not getting together. I like learning to let life happen as it does... and feeding the chickens.

2 comments:

  1. You are still blogging though, that's good. Which coast are you on? East or West?

    good luck on your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent you letters...
    Love to you!

    ReplyDelete

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails