Thursday, January 12, 2012

Oh Mägi, Mägi, It's a Wild World...

Shots from Marble and Aspen, CO and Road Stop and Portland, OR.

I'm not sure what this is. A confession?

I like to substitute my name, "Mägi," for any song with a two syllable word that ends in the long "e" sound. This includes words like baby, maybe, salty, candy, shiny, cookie, creepy, etc. I'm not entirely sure why I like doing this - it just sort of happens to me.

Anyways, who wouldn't want to throw me into the songs they write?
A lot of folks, I'm certain.

At L'Abri, we had this 21 year old lad who was near-obsessed (maybe just a huge fan, I guess that's a proper way to put it) of Justin Bieber. And around the 3rd time I had heard Justin's infamous song, "Baby," my brain just started inserting my own name in there. By the 23rd time through the song, it was cemented.

"And I was like Mägi, Mägi, Mägi, ohhhhh...."

And then there's Cat Steven's song, "Wild World."

"Oh Mägi, Mägi, it's a wild world."

One place my name doesn't fit is in "Santa Baby."

"Santa Mägi, so hurry down the chimney tonight."


I even take over the Beatle's "Penny Lane" (one of my all time favourite music videos - they ride horses and knock over a table!).

"
Mägi Lane is in my ear and in my EYE!"


And now you know what's going on in my brain when I'm singing. I'm being self absorbed and putting myself in any song. But, hey, gotta make things relevant to make 'em stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails