Monday, February 6, 2012

You Know That Dancing You Do Alone In Your Bedroom....

I dance socially, ideally, three times a week (but often it's slimmed down to one or two times) -- but then there's my solo dancing I get to do in my house.

Everyone dances in their bedroom -- right?

Upon getting home from a glorious weekend of 16 hours of dancing, I saw a video posted by Matt Fisher of the dance and there in the video was me. Up until this point, I hadn't seen myself contra dance before ('cept a crappy video where I'm represented by approximately 3 pixels). I haven't seen myself blues dance. I've only seen myself in flash mobs and squares.

So here I was in this video and it was quite interesting. Here's the video posted:


I'm the one in the electric pink dress. Can't miss it. I make an appearance at 3:40 and 4:50. At this point we had been dancing for well over 4 minutes and had already danced for around 6-7 hours that day. We're also at the end of the line where confusion can sometimes occur. Hence, a bit lack of smoothness, but you still get the idea.

Anyways, I watched this video and I was like, "DUDE! That's what people see."
And it made me laugh.

And then I thought, "What does my happy-self-pyjama-solo dancing look like that I do when the house is cleared out and empty?" I had no idea. I've always been a bit of a self-proclaimed awkward dancer. However my body feels like moving, well, that's how I move.

So I got out the camera and this is what I saw...


Yep. You get to see what it looks like when I do my silly bedroom dancing (although that is not my bedroom). This isn't any sort of dance. This is me whirling and moving how my body wants to move when music plays. Since it's movement to music, I guess we can call it dance or flailing. Whatever it is, it makes me feel really good.

I bounce enough to upset stuff and knock it off the shelves.

When I look out towards behind the camera, I can see the beautiful sunny Cascades. That's something I love. 

I do dance by myself frequently. People gotta move! I gotta wiggle and squirm. And I think it is a beautiful fine thing to let yourself move without any guidance or form or thoughts. Maybe not the best to watch, but I find it amusing.

Solo bedroom dancing is an acceptable stand to hold me over till the next social dance night, I'd say.

5 comments:

  1. girl you can DANCE! my goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a beautiful picture of you and Raffie dancing at Lake City on Thursday. It is filled with the joy and playfulness that both of you always bring to dance. It is now my desktop and brings me joy.
    Cera

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whether you are contra dancing, square dancing, dancing in your bedroom or round dancing. You are a joy to watch. You make me smile. Oh and you are an extremely good dancer. Why because you dance from your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah how fun! Thanks for sharing - and I love your pink dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magi this is Ashley typing below:


    hi magi i have adhd too i tried to do that thing what you posted on facebook
    and when i did that and when i came out of my room i looked crazy and i liked that very much that i might do that on facebook i saw that lots of things fell
    but you can make another one that is better and i will see you soon in person


    love ashley.

    ReplyDelete

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails