Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Wanderlust Hardcore


I've heard folks say, "Yeah, I've got wanderlust."

But I don't see them going places. I do see them looking at pretty pictures of Europe. I don't see it driving them to leave their homes and explore. I don't see it in them beyond a poetic word.

For me, it almost feels like another condition to go along with SPD, ADHD, and the others.
I've got it. Definitely have it. I've got it hardcore.
Is it a curse? If so, it has its blessings.

A simple definition is: "Wanderlust is a strong desire for or impulse to hike, wander or travel and explore the world."

Yeah. That's pretty much it. But the desire is a bit too strong.
Trying to resist leaving on a weekend is like trying to resist chocolate chip cookie dough. I'm just not capable of doing it.

Tuesdays through Fridays I've got to be in Seattle. That's a must because of school and work.

But as soon as the weekend hits - BANG - I'm gone.

I will note - I have spent two weekends in Seattle. One was for a dance camp. The other was this weekend and was deliberate and difficult but I proudly did it! I didn't quite sleep at home Saturday night, but I was within' city limits so it counts.

Under my tiny budget (I only make $363 a month) and 3 day weekends in 2012, I've managed:

  • 3,798 miles in 2012 (that's farther than Seattle, WA & Miami, FL)
  • Slept in around 12 beds, or so
  • Rides with around 9 folks
Since January it's been like this...
  • Bellingham, WA
  • Olympia, WA
  • Bellingham, WA
  • Vancouver, BC
  • Cle Elum, WA
  • Seattle, WA - Dance Camp
  • Bellingham, WA & Vancouver, BC
  • Lopez Island, WA
  • Portland, OR, Berkeley, San Francisco, Santa Clara, CA
  • Bowen Island, Vancouver, Langley, BC
  • Olympia, WA & Portland, OR
This up coming weekend I think I'll be in California again. Then I have one or two weekends left before I leave for Alaska until September (maybe).

I've got to keep moving. I like seeing how far I can get from home. I love sleeping in different beds and on different floors. I love having everything in my backpack. I love colliding with folks only for the temporary moment.

I don't know why I need to get away. There are so many fantastic events in Seattle! So many wonderful people to be with. But, life just sweeps me elsewhere.

All within' my means, though. That's why I stay pretty close to home. I fund my travels. I do what I can with the time and money I have.

I'll report back on my Seattle weekend, too. It was spectacular! I'm grateful to be able to call this place home base.

Anyways, wanderlust.
Anyone know a cure?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails