Saturday, December 22, 2012

Haines Christmas Festivities:‭ ‬Light the Fort


Haines gathered the other evening for the Lighting of the Fort.

‎“‏the Fort‭” ‬refers to Fort Seward where a bunch of historical stuff happened.‭ ‬We’ve got all of these old buildings in Haines around a field.‭ ‬Sorry I didn’t do my research.‭ ‬I know i’ve heard stories of what’s up with those buildings but it has yet to stick in my memory‭ ‘‬cept the fact that most locals say a few of the buildings are haunted.

5‎ ‏P.M.‭ ‬was the the awaited time.

We trudged through the snow to the back of the longhouse and at‭ ‬5‭ ‬P.M.‭ ‬sharp,‭ ‬the canon blasted‭ ‬-‭ ‬jolting us both into glee as each of the houses lit up.


A nativity scene was set up and Holly led the community in Christmas carols.‭

A bonfire blazed and folks roasted hot dogs and marshmallows.

I got to see beautiful friends like Carol,‭ ‬Bill,‭ ‬Martha,‭ ‬Ellen,‭ ‬Sasha,‭ ‬Nick,‭ ‬Luke...

I like this community.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails