Friday, February 1, 2013

A Guide to Feeding a This Human


I get frustrated with being the person says, "I'm sorry, I'm allergic..."

I get embarrassed when people are kind enough to cook me something and then I can't eat it. There's that unbalanced moment when they have to look in the fridge to find me something else and they say, "I'm sorry" and I say, "I'm sorry" and "you don't have to be sorry."

I don't like inconveniencing people.
But, well, I'm allergic.
Really allergic.

So I'm posting this and I'll probably link to it if you're hosting me, ever.

I can not not NOT not eat...

tomatoes
apples
almonds
plums
kiwi
chestnuts
nectarines
avocado
celery
hazelnuts

This is all due to a latex sensitivity.

Those bring me step after step closer to anaphylactic shock which is where my throat closes up and I can't breath. I have an EpiPen on me most of the time and if I don't have it, you should make me feel guilty about it.

I should not not NOT not have....

crazy sugar (white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, the works)
white flours
dairy
crazy processed foods with bizarre ingredients

They make me feel sick and ill and trigger some addictive behaviours. I have an intolerance to these - not an allergy. They will make me feel moody and sad, frequently.

I don't eat much...

moo-cluck-quack-oink meat

But if you cook it, I can eat it. I enjoy meat! I will not think, "So sad, they made me meat." I will think, "This is lovely." If there's a vegetarian option, I'll always take it but if I'm served meat, I'll eat it without problems.

So, if I'm coming over to your house, what can I eat? Lots of things.

I love to eat...

vegetables!
fruit!
beans!
brown rice!

brown rice pasta!
eggs!
hummus!
quinoa!
whole-wheat stuff!
honey!
fish!

A basic bowl of rice and beans plus a salad will generally make my day. Stir-frys are great. I love roasted vegetables. I currently am substituting hummus for most creamy white stuff (yogurt, sour cream, butter, cheese, and mayonnaise). I love soups too!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! It's always really nice to have a written down list to refer to. <3 Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO going to make something like this for my kids to share when visiting over other people's house some day. And, you will need to re-share this link with me if you are ever in our neck of the woods, where I'd love to personally meet you.

    ReplyDelete

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails