Thursday, April 11, 2013

Downpours, Lightning, and the Brooklyn Bridge

Taken at Pier 17 - Looking at the Brooklyn Bridge and Brooklyn

 I had been anticipating this storm since 3:13 PM on Monday, a few hours after I arrived in New York. When I saw the word, "storm," used, I got a bit giddy.

Storms mean being cozy inside.
Storms mean you can study Russian all morning long.
Storms mean raincoats.


On Wednesday evening, I packed up my rain coat and camera in my waterproof backpack (waterproof, yo - not just water resistant) and a small map describing a "walking tour" I should take.

I took the L and then the 5 train to Bowling Green in Lower Manhatten. It looks out over where the Hudson River turns into the Upper Bay.

It was still warm when I arrived and I started shooting.
After four minutes in, though, you could start to see the skye visbly turn grey and darken as the warm air quickened up into a gust that blew dirt into your teeth. Here are two shots of the "Freedom Tower" taken five minutes apart.


In excitement and anticipation, I started to run into the wind and in circles. Hey New York. Don't mind me. Just enjoyin' the wind. I waved at Lady Liberty who was prepared for the storm with her stoic glare.


Raincoat on, I started my tour.
As I started my tour, it started to rain.
As I started to rain, I started to get even giddier.
I was ready for this.

New York, on the other hand, was not. We had had two enormous days of summer preceding this storm. It was full on sun-in-your-eyes, sunburned, no sleeves and frozen yoghurt. New York was into this and, thus, was dressed for this.


As the raindrops grew heavier and more urgent, the citizens skittered even more disorganizedly. Collections of soggy folks pooled in doorways, waiting for it to pass. Skimpy dresses were rendered useless against the rain.

Coming from Seattle, I was prepared for the rain with my raincoat. I was set to go. I was out in the downpour for the entire duration of the storm, over 48 minutes. I had on some water-resistant shoes and I stayed dry as I walked through the rivers that took over the streets.


The tour took me to Pier 17 and I climbed up a few flights of stairs to look at the lightning storm that had unfolded. For around 37 minutes I stood, documenting the lightning.


You guys, it was really, really cool.

After staring at the Brooklyn Bridge for so long, I thought, golly, I should be able to cross that.

So, at 8: 30 PM, I checked out my map, grabbed some raw, vegan, gluten free macaroons from a small shop, and started to trek over to find the start of the bridge.


Oh, that bridge. She was vast and empowering as I crossed the East River. It had stopped raining and I took my time, breathing in the muggy air. The sky still flickered with lightning in waves that lit up the magnificent skyline.


Once on the other side, I stumbled around in loops until I found the subway that took me home. The C train. The L train.

By this time, I had dried out and felt an altogether peaceful feeling of satisfaction.

2 comments:

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails