Monday, May 13, 2013

Hey... I'm in Norway


Hey.

I'm in Norway.
I want to celebrate their constitution day.


There was a noticeable change upon entering the Kingdom of Norway.
Crazy noticeable.

It all started with the customs men.

First, we had two passport checks in Russia just to leave the country. You do not, not want to have an expired visa in this country. Don't do it. Leaving the country I was to interact with the standard non-social gruff non-communicative Russian man at the border. Not much happened, 'cept that he looked pissed off that I was on the earth.

Then we entered the Norwegian customs.

I ended up having a small chat with the man, he was smiling me as he welcomed me to Norway). There was a different mood to the people there. The Cyrillic alphabet became less prominent and English and Norwegian started to take over. I can understand bits of Norwegian (not much, though) which is convenient.

To get to Norway, I got up at 5:30 AM to catch a 7 AM bus from Murmansk, Russia to Kirkenes, Norway.


The small town I'm visiting is just that, a small town. From what I've heard, there's not too much of note and it's not even altogether that adorable – but it's Norway and it will be 17 May and I'm excited. I'm not sure yet how long I'll be here or what I want to do. There are so many options swimming around in my head that I think it's best they stay there for a bit longer until I've been in this country for a few days.

Really, I could stay here for up to three months, if I desired. That's one of the joys of being an American citizen. Sort of. Three months isn't long. But, I know I'll want to get back to Russia and Eastern Europe pretty soon. Norway, although quite eastern, isn't Eastern Europe in most folks books. It's a country that will zap me of all cash quite quickly so I intend to keep my explorations quite simple and standard – take lots of walks. If I'm lucky, I'll find some lefse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails