Sunday, May 26, 2013

Questions Answered - "What made you want to travel around in the first place?"

By Hannah Roberts in Nottingham, New Hampshire
Population 3,701
 Someone (not sure who) posted a few questions in the comments section and I thought I'd answer them thoroughly here. Thanks. If anyone else has any questions, you can post 'em in any comment box or keep 'em in your head.

"What made you want to travel around in the first place?"

For the first 16 years of my life, my entire existence was contained within Cascadia. I was raised in Kenmore, Washington, a suburb of Seattle, and was given the stable, reliable, predictable, loving upbringing that some kids only dream of.

Christmas Jam Session

We never moved.
My parents always loved each other and never fought except over if there was going to be oatmeal in the cookie dough or not.
Music was always being created under our roof.
There was always food on the table.
I went square dancing every Wednesday night.
I knew my parents would love me no matter what.

Life was solid.


I also had been on the "advanced placement" route for six years, since fifth grade. I was pushing myself academically, thriving when I was challenged. This was the norm. I was on route to try to attend university. I had my life all paved out for me. Economics was my aim.

Then I got to 10th grade, my first year of high school. I found myself spending all of my free time working hard and frequently stressed out. I started to think, "Is this really how I want to spend my life?" I was trying to figure out if it was even all worth what it was mentally doing to me. What was the point?

I started to think about my life and how it would pan out. I would be in school for 13 years, then high education for 4-6 years, and then plug into a job. It was one giant track that society had

I didn't want that. It felt like a waste of time to me. I felt like I would end up in this rut called -- working all day so I can go sleep in a house so I can feel rested to work.

So I signed up to be an exchange student (and this is where I link to a blog-post from May 2007 when I was 16).
I went to Switzerland.
I thought I could grow in some new ways there.
And that's where it all started.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Magi:

    I was just wondering if you were going to settle somewhere for a while during your travels in Russia, Ukraine, Scandinavia, etc.? I actually stumbled onto this blog a while after striking up a correspondence with you via snail mail, but discovered that you were leaving Haines, Alaska & now I no longer have an address to send this letter that I've had for you a number of months now. I understand if you can't post an address or PO box (especially while abroad), but I'd love to continue our correspondence somehow. Perhaps via email?

    Happy to see you are well and in good health.

    Best wishes,
    Conrad
    Walnut Creek, CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Conrad,

      Dude, thank you for reading my blog -- glad you could stumble upon it (and hope you regained your balance thereafter). I actually just settled around two days ago. For the next three months (or more - it's open ended, but I'll be here a minimum of three months) I'm living in Uzhhorod, Ukraine.

      I do have an address, if you want to send anything there.
      Shoot me an email at [m a g s t e r m e @ h o t m a i l . c o m] and I'll get back to you.

      Thanks,

      Magi

      Delete

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails