Saturday, June 1, 2013

Meet Artiem


Oh man... this baby.
Artiem.

For those of you who aren't sure what's going on -- I'm currently volunteering at the local hospital in Ukraine with the babies who have been abandoned. I'm documenting what I see of their lives and personalities and developments.

He'll be crying and I'll pick him up.
Still crying.
Pat his back.
Crying.
But then, the moment I animate my face, he laughs.

We play, "Buzzah-buzzah-buzzah-bee" and he likes that. It helps him work on depth perception, learning about anticipation, patterns, and adjusting his focus. As I say the words, my fingers wiggle close and closer to his neck where they "tickle" on the word "bee."

It's fun cuddling him and singing Stevie Wonder songs to him. He likes Stevie Wonder.

Sad babies are so sad.
He cries a lot when he's not held, frequently. It's not a loud cry. It's the kind that can easily be tuned out which is not something I like to do.
Babies are supposed to be hugged and snuggled and there toes are supposed to be kissed, I think.

He's starting to get up the muscles and he rolled over today. He likes to try and pull himself up on my shirt and squirms about his crib. I love running over and surprising him. We both laugh over that.


I called him the Little Mister until I finally learned his name.
What a fine fellow he is!

Want to help?

Currently, the best way you can help is with your dollars. I'm still checking on what needs we have, but from talking to the woman who set me up with the hospital, they are short on diapers and medicine. When we went to visit, the first time, the centre I'm staying at brought diapers over to the hospital to use. Clothes and toys are reusable and washable and they have enough for the kids they have.

So -- I have this button:



I'm going to talk straight about what's happening.

That button puts the money straight (straight!) into my own personal bank account. From there, I'll withdraw it as cash and it will be used, directly, to buy what they need. There's no organization to go through, here. You'll just have to trust me on this one, that I'm an honest person, and that your dollars will go straight to helping out these babies.

If, by any chance, you do want to support or encourage me financially in my time here (it would probably go towards getting the shoes I need to wear at the hospital, bus fare, sunscreen, stamps, and a bar of dark chocolate), you can still send the cash via that button, just add a note (they'll give you the option for that) and specify that, "Hey -- $5 of that is for you to enjoy! Go get yourself some carrots!"  Otherwise, it's all going to them, which is just swell!

And if you don't have cash to spare, keep us in your prayers and I'd also encourage you to post this on Facebook.

3 comments:

  1. Today I have $5 for the babies. I wish I could take them all home. But I can't so today I have $5 for the babies. God bless you Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jessica!
      Thanks for your encouragement and support, I appreciate it. The babies do too!

      Delete

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails