Monday, April 14, 2014

Four Wishes from Bee


"Who... who... who are you?" asked the frail women in the adult care facility where Grandfather lives. They're both in "memory care."

"I'm Margaret," I answered her. "I'm Warren's granddaughter."
"I'm... I'm Bee. That's not my real name but I won't tell you that."
"Bee works perfectly for me," I reassured her.
"You have such a.. such a darling dress."

I thanked her and she gestured for me to twirl. I twirled for Bee and she put her hands together.

"And you have those.. those..." and she put her finger into her cheek, symbolizing dimples.

"You look darling. I want to see you in 10 years. In 10 years, I wish for you a husband who loves you, a family, and A-1 health for all of you."

Those were her wishes for me.
I grinned back.


"With that face... you'll find someone," she told me.
I grinned again, although it wasn't as easy.

She was thanked for her kind wishes and I gave Grandfather a huge hug, making sure he knew how much I loved him. I know he won't remember this visit in an hour or two, but I'll do what I can to make sure he knows he's loved and that I think often of him.

My dad and I had biked through the trees and over the "river" (slough) to visit him and delivery flowers that his church had given him in celebration of Palm Sunday.


I love both of those men.
It was a good day.

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was well-written. Today a 7-yr.-old girl told me, "You're 27 and you're not married yet? You're supposed to get married when you're 20!" She continued, "You HAVE to get married!"

    "Why?" I asked.

    "Because God said."

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are beautiful and your stories make me smile. :) happy monday, friend!

    ReplyDelete

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails