Saturday, July 5, 2014

Sleeping Babies Are Way Too Much Fun



Why would I say life is good right now?
Today I spent around five hours with sleeping babies and for some crazy reason, was given dollars in exchange for it.

One of my favourite, favourite pastimes is holding children that are:

a) going to sleep
b) sleeping
c) waking up

Simple, eh?


I love it when they're going to sleep. I love scouting out the moment to start up the ritual. I love hearing their breathing change as they slip into a dream. I love when they go from looking around to letting their head rest on my chest. I love watching the eyelids get heavy and the yawns increase.

When they're sleeping, I feel like I shouldn't even be getting paid. I'm just doing what I'd normally be doing, 'cept with a sleeping baby. Baby R sleeps in his stroller, so then, I don't have a baby strapped to me and I can go off and crawl into Tobbit and get things done. Baby Z gets strapped to my front, but then I can bounce and shussshhhh her through the different sleep cycles as needed to help her get the full rest she needs.

As mentioned above, I don't always feel like I should be getting paid, but then I realize what I'm getting paid for - their peace of mind and the baby getting to maintain their schedule. Right now I'm wearing Baby Z as I type this - she's been out for three hours. During those three hours, her mom's been around, but running around getting things done as she packs for a trip.

My favourite nice, Baby Pearl.
If I weren't here, Baby Z wouldn't still be sleeping. Simple as that.

When I got here today, Baby Z was tired and crying every couple minutes or so - definitely a weary baby past the point of being just tired. I was able to take the kid from Momma Bear and help stop the tears (with some teething toys and some gentle snuggles) and Momma Bear got to go do what she needed to do.


And now I have this sleeping human in my arms and I love it. I love every bit of this human. I love that in holding her, I feel overwhelmed with love and compassion for her. The paycheck at the end seems kind of outlandish - to get paid for the privilege of holding such a little wonder is pretty rad.

Earlier today I pushed Baby R to sleep. When he woke up, he was still a bit starry eyed so I got to hold him as he slowly came back to reality. He snuggled up into my shoulder and I slowly rocked him, rubbing his back, trying to make the transition as smooth as possible. Waking up can be very disorienting.

And this is what I do.
I hold babies.
I do my best to meet their needs.
I love it.

The degree may come - a career may come - but, for now, I like what I do and I feel honoured to be able to be a part of this moment in the lives of these little muppets.

Side Note: I realized that this is what I did to a friend of mine, the other night. We shared a bed platonically that night and I stuck around with them till they were eased to sleep (a few gentle back rubs - just like I do with Baby Z). I waited till their breathing changed and I knew they were far gone. Then I slipped out of the bed and went to sleep in Tobbit. In the morning, I ran back and jumped in bed before they knew that I had gone, their for the transition to daytime just like I race to catch Baby R as he wakes up. Oh Margaret, Margaret, Margaret...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails