Thursday, October 16, 2014

Disconnected


This is month eight of no cell phone.

The report?
I like it.
It's nice.
That's also $400 saved.

I like not being able to be reached. I like keeping numbers written in a notebook and referencing the phone book a few times a week. Every call I've made, lately, has been after I looked up the number in the phone book.

In the city, I think they're super useful but, where I live, there's not really a huge use for them. In the city, it's pretty useful to be able to look up a bus schedule on the fly. It nice for checking if something is open when you're out.

But in towns like Bowen Island, Lopez Island, and Haines, you don't need it. If you want to get anywhere, you can stick out your thumb or walk or bike in any of those towns. You don't need a phone. Things work out fine. If you do need a phone while en route, chances are, there are phones in public places to use and folks with phones who'll lend you there's.

It's nice not having one. It's nice not constantly checking it to see if I got a text. It's nice to spend times with friends, never interrupted.

In case you were wondering, there has not yet been a moment when I've thought, "Gee, I really wish I had a phone." When I needed one, and it was urgent, I asked a stranger on the street.

I've learned that, for my lifestyle, I don't really need one. Not yet.
Someday I probably will, but not right now.
Maybe in a few months... but not right now.
They are useful tools, that is for sure, but I don't like how they're the absolute norm, now. I don't like how folks can't go long without checking it. I don't like how they're always listening for that sound and when they hear that sound, they pull the phone out of their pocket. Not all folks, but some folks. Some folks sometimes.

Note: I actually do have a phone. An $7 phone with a few minutes on it, pre-paid. It's always off and left in the glove compartment of my truck, left there just in case Tobbit breaks down on the highway. Just wanted to be honest. Currently, it's over a thousand miles away from me. Lovely thing.

Also just deactivated off of Facebook after 2-3 months logged on. I'm awful at managing it. I'm happier without it. Simple. It's been written about before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails