Thursday, October 2, 2014

Fall Festival


One of my favourite social tracks in Haines is the homeschool-crowd. I feel honoured to have been welcomed in to their world. When the winter hits and my thoughts turn sour and dark, it's these families that I call up. There's a few of them that will, I know, go out of their way to pick me up and take me to their home and give me lots of hugs and tea. I know this because they have done this in the past. Some of them, if I don't show up for a few days, will call and ask where I've been. I am so grateful.

This morning I woke up with a call that there was a fall festival happening with the homeschool kids out the road. I was invited and told to wear warm clothes and wet boots, we'd be outside most of the time.

What happened out the road was beautiful. Indeed, it was just homeschoolers - and well over 30 of them running around, full speed and infectious chaos.


The kids got delightfully excited about three-legged races, scarecrow races, bean bag tosses, frisbee golf, leaf painting, capture the flag, bobbing for apples, and sack races. Even after the games were over, they would go back and play the same ones over and over again. As we were about to leave, Lil'L raced over to me and said, "Mägi! Want to do the scarecrow race with me?"

How could I resist. Soon, I was barefooted and preparing to run around in the grass with glee. For his game, there's a box of large clothes to throw on, then you race down to the cone and back, and try to strip down before your opponent.

Bobbing for apples was probably one of the most amusing events to watch the children attempt. See, this day was cold - frigid cold. The water was close to ice-cold and for anyone to stick there head in it for an extended period of time definitely took some guts. They would emerge sputtering, crying for a towel, and shaking off the brain freeze.


We were discouraged from spending too much time indoors, but when things got too nippy, there was the fire inside to warm up by and hot cider to sip on. At the end of the day, we all feasted on chili, au gratin potatoes, eggs, candied pecans, dried bananas, and anything else fit for a potluck.

It felt like a feast.
It was a feast.
It truly was a celebration of fall.

I was grateful to be in such a positive, encouraging environment. Five hours after arriving, the four folks I'd arrived with and I piled into the car with the post-excitement bounce.

Quite the day, eh?

1 comment:

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails