Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Arriving in Haines

Landing in Juneau

The anticipation of going back to Alaska was more than I'd had for a trip in a while.

I was going home.
Going back.
Going to rest.

Back in December, I left Haines promising to come back 2-3 weeks after Christmas - I even had the plane ticket. I never did come back. I was in cruddy shape and being near family and professions was a good thing.

I've been doing what I can to stabilize, but the other night, I just knew I had to go back. It was constantly on my mind. So, I did what any rational person would do - I went ahead and bought tickets.

This time, I was going for a visit, something I hadn't done.

I've flown, driven, or ferried into Haines some dozen times, but this time, for the first time, I was coming just to visit. Just a short check on the folks I adore.

Flying over the Seattle-life.
It's Lopez Island! Home for five months last year.

The thing about getting to Haines is it's never just one step. Generally it's a two day process. It takes one day to fly to Juneau and another day to catch the ferry, if you're not up for a secondary flight.

This gives way to lots of anticipation and excitement.


As I waited for my flight, I was delighted to run into Polly who would be on the same flight to Juneau as I was on. Once aboard the flight, I saw three other locals I knew. Flights to Alaska are the only ones I know where you're almost guaranteed to know someone on each flight you take and then see the same folks on the ferry the next day.


The anticipation on the ferry was more than I'd had in a while. As we neared the dock, I could see Dani and Pearl and, yep, I cried --- 'cause this was exciting. This was a circle coming closed. Things were coming together.

It was time to breathe, for a week. Time to let myself wiggle and forget about shoes and traffic. I was going to roll around with the humans here I love and just let that be the agenda.

It was good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your words make me grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails